I was buzzing around the internet one night, flipping though blogs and searching on Google just randomly....I'm not sure what exactly brought me to their page but VOILA!! Soy Genius Buggies! (They are now called Soy Genius With Insect Shield)
So what is Soy Genius with Insect Shield?
They are a brand new clothing line introduced in Spring 2010 that use Soy Genius soy and organic cotton fabric that is soft and moisture wicking, which is wonderful in the summer time! Besides the Soy Genius fabric the Buggies line includes "insect shield", which is a man-made version of a natural insect repellent found in certain types of chrysanthemum plants! That's awesome don't you think?!
So not only do you have natural Soy Genius fabric, but also great bug and sun protection!
I contacted the Soy Genius company and talked to Ginger, who agreed to send me a pair of Insect Shield leggies to test out! I was even more surprised to open the package I recieved to find two Buggies leggies, one of each of the wonderful colors I loved! Boy was I happy!
Unfortunately we were done with our camping trip for the summer and couldn't fit another one into test these out, but this gave me an opportunity to find what other practical uses our Insect Sheild leggies have for the every day use!
In our city we are fortunate enough to have a wonderful reserve. It's used for research by the University students, but anyone can enjoy it in many different ways. So we decided to take an evening sunset stroll through the reserve! Now keep in mind, It's September, and we recently had a lot of rain...can you say mosquitoes galore!! My fiance and I were very annoyed by all the bugs, we had forgotten to put on bug spray! Of course we were more worried about our little girl...but she didn't seem bothered in the least! She was running around exploring, climbing, getting her leggies sooo dirty (and the dirt washed out wonderfully!) but the only place I saw mosquitoes "bugging" her was on her face! I was so happy to have had the Insect Shield Leggies on her, she was probably the only one of us that was comfortable with all the bugs around us! And I felt comfortable letting her run around in her skirt as her knees were protected with the leggies! No scraped knees!
Here are some cute pictures of SAP in her Insect Shield Leggies at the reserve!! How cute is she?! :)
Crawling around with her leggies on! They protect her knees!
And then climbing rocks! I love the Ocean color, they bring her eyes out very nice! :)
So excited to be out in nature and no buggies to bother her! :) And not even caring her Rumparooz are showing at that lol
SAP looking so cute in her Coral colored leggies!
Climbing steps! The stone did not hurt her at all, and see how nicely they stay up on her legs with all this activity?!
"Hi Mommy, I'm adorable, you know you love me :P"
Mommy's little heartbreaker!
Over all, my experience with the Soy Genius Insect Shild leggies was very positive! There was a ton of bugs around at the reserve but none went near SAP at all except her face, and if we had some Buggies T-shirts or hat or something we wouldn't have any worries at all! The leggies are designed really well, they stayed up great on her legs and did not make makes or make SAP uncomfortable. She got them very dirty yet the stains came out in the wash! I really hope I can get some more Insect Shield clothing soon because it comes in handy! Recently I've sent SAP to daycare in her Insect Shield leggies and everyone commented on how darn cute she looked!
The fabric also seems quite durable. The tags say that the insect shield is good up to 70 washes and can be laundered like regular clothes so very happy about that! And the leggies should fit her next summer too!
**I would like to clarify that Insect Shield is a man-made version of a natural insect repellent found in Chrysanthemum plants, it is not completely "natural" as it is made in a lab. This is still a much better and healthy way to keep safe from bugs than most insect repellents and with organic and soy fabrics I fully approve that these products are wonderful and safe for children as well as pregnant or nursing moms and everyone in between! :)
Information about Soy Genius Insect Shield Clothing (formerly known as Buggies)
|Whether in the backcountry of Belize or in a suburban backyard, BuggiesTM are essential clothing for infants and toddlers who enjoy time outside. Buggies is the only line of Insect ShieldTM apparel for infants and toddlers - keeping children cute, comfortable and protected. The built-in insect repellent provides a carefree outdoor experience, letting little ones focus on their adventures—not bugs.|
|The Buggies collection is well-constructed, smart and innovative. Insect ShieldTM technology provides protection against a variety of bugs, including those that can carry West Nile virus, Lyme disease, malaria and other insect-borne diseases.|
|Buggies are made with Soy GeniusTM fabric. It’s what makes Buggies super soft and moisture-wicking, keeping kids comfortable and dry. The 30+ UPF provides an extra measure of protection from UV rays.|
|Available Spring 2010, the Buggies collection is made with our exclusive Soy Genius fabric and includes T-shirts, bodysuits, hats, shorts/skorts, warmers and pants for both boys and girls.|
About the Insect Shield:
What SAPsMaMa LOVES about Soy Genius with Insect Shield!
- Made of organic cotton and soy fabric, environmentally friendly choices!
- Protects from the sun without the use of sunscreen! (30+ sunsheild)
- Soft and comfortable for SAP to wear
- The colors are great! Not the typical colors and easy to coordinate!
- They have a lot of options, from skirts and leggies to t-shirts and hoodies!
- Stain resistant! The stains came out of her leggies!
- Can be used by babies, toddlers, nursing moms, or pregnant moms safely!
- Less worry about disease carrying bugs like ticks, which are prevalent in our area!
- I love I don't have to use bug spray or sunscreen! Got both things covered in one!! Awesome! So saves money and you buy less products so better for environment!
- One or two sets will last you the whole summer, unlike sunscreen and bug repellent, which you have to keep replacing! Plus if you buy a size bigger, better coverage and it'll fit next summer yay! :)
- These work wonderful and I love that it's all natural, there's not much I can suggest. I would like to see some more natural colors though! Natural colors are easier to match with and bring about the feeling that it is a natural clothing option, something I like!
- SAPsDaDa also thought darker more natural colors would be nice, although the current colors are nice for summer, they show dirt a lot, so you might want darker color if you're camping or something where baby will be crawling around in dirt!
You can purchase Soy Genius with Insect Shield (formerly known as Buggies) on the Soy Genius website shop HERE!
I have also seen the whole range of sizes, colors, and articles of clothing on Zulily.com for about 40% off twice now! So keep your eyes peeled it might pop up again!
One luck SAPsMaMa follower will win a pair of Soy Genius with Insect Shield Leggies just like the ones I reviewed! (color preference will be considered but will be based on what is in stock).
- You must be a SAPsMaMa Google Friend Connect follower PUBLICLY to enter this giveaway!
- You must leave your email in each comment/entry! You may leave your email in the " email at host dot com " format if you would like to deter spam bots, but your email MUST be included for your entry to count!
- Mandatory entry must be completed before any other entries!
- Leave a separate comment for each entry in order for all entries to be counted (i.e. if something is worth 2 entries, please leave two comments, and please label #1 and #2, etc.)
- If you need clarification on how to complete one of the entries, feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to help!
- I will check each comment entry! So please be fair and only enter for entries you qualify for!
You must follow SAPsMaMa PUBLICLY via Google Friend Connect!
Head on over to the Soy Genius with Insect Shield shop and tell me what piece of apparel and what color you like best! (There are navigation links on the left side of the page to look at boys, girls, or accessories clothing options)
This mandatory entry is worth 2 Entries, and you must do BOTH these things!
- Like Insect Shield on Facebook! (1 Entry)
- Follow @Insect Shield on Twitter! (1 Entry)
- Head over to their website and tell me:
1. What other awesome brand does Soy Genius have? (1 Entry)
2. What is so special about their Soy Genius fabric? (1 Entry)
- Tweet about the giveaway! You may tweet once per day! You may use this tweet if you would like:
Protect your little ones from sun and bugs with Soy Genius with Insect Shield Clothing! #Win some at @SAPsMaMa! http://tinyurl.com/2vv9z9q
- Tell me what you'd use your Soy Genius with Insect Shield apparel for! (1 Entry)
- Read my Soy Genius with Insect Shield review in this post above and answer the following questions, 1 extra entry per question answered! All answers should be pretty obvious, these are not trick questions! :) Make sure to put a separate comment for each entry!
1. What is the active ingrediant of insect shield that makes it repell bugs naturally? (1 Entry)
2. How many washes does the Insect Shield stand up to? (1 Entry)
- Like SAPsMaMa on Facebook! Please leave your Facebook name or at least your first initial and last name for me to verify. (2 Entries!)
- Follow @SAPsMaMa on Twitter! Please leave your twitter handle! (1 Entry)
- Subscribe to SAPsMaMa via RSS Feedburner! (1 Entry)
- Change your Facebook status to link to this giveaway, remembering to tag @SAPsMaMa: Natural Parenting in the Modern World in your status post! Please leave the URL to your status in your entry! You may do this once per day! (1 Entry)
- Enter any of my other CURRENT giveaways! (1 Entry Each!)
- If you guessed this review correctly on SAPsMaMa's Facebook Fan Page (Valerie!), you get 5 extra entries! Be sure to like SAPsMaMa on facebook and have a chance at each giveaway at extra entries! (5 Entries)
- If you participated in my little guessing game for this review/giveaway you get 1 extra entry! Only 2 other participants this time, we do this for every giveaway so follow SAPsMaMa on Facebook and get some extra entries for yourself! (1 Entry)
- If you liked Dependable Luxury's Facebook Fan page and commented on their wall that Melissa from @SAPsMaMa: Natural Parenting in the Modern World referred you (remember to tag me!), you get 1 extra entry! You can still do this throughout the month of September and it will get you an additional entry into my other giveaways too! (1 Extra Entry per giveaway)
- If your blog is Carbon Neutral, you get an extra entry! Please leave your link to your blog! You can learn how to do this on my blog post My Blog is Carbon Neutral, Is YOURS?! (1 Entry)
- If you made a donation of any amount to the Cloth Diaper Foundation you get 10 extra entries! Learn details on how to do this on my recent post The Ying and Yang of Life and Help The Cloth Diaper Foundation Please! It's a great cause! (10 Entries)
- If you helped out The Dirties on Diapering and got extra entries there (anywhere from 1-40 extra entries!) post those entries as well! You can find out how to get these extra entries at my blog post HERE! Requirements for these extra entries must be done before Wednesday Sep 15, 11:59pm EDT to qualify, but you may still use these extra entries in giveaways for the month of September :)
- Any other extra entries please put in also, I will check and approve them, so be sure I know what you're referring to in your entry! :)
The product(s) provided for the review (2 pairs of Soy Genius with Insect Shield Leggies) were sent to me free of charge from the company or the PR agency. The opinions expressed are 100% my own. Text in Italics is from the company's website or otherwise sited from party it was received from.
Giveaway is open to USA Only! Giveaway will end Oct. 11th @ 11:59 PM (CST). Winner will be chosen using random.org. Winner will have 48 hours to respond after I contact via email. If winner does not respond, a new winner will be chosen. Good Luck and thank you for supporting SAPsMaMa!
Thank you to Soy Genius with working with me on this great giveaway, I am thrilled to be able to share the new Insect Shield apparel and help spread the news about how great they work! It was wonderful working with you!